June 2024 chemo starters

@charlie22 I so know that murderous feeling. I had it earlier when i discovered that the wig i have ordered is going to take another 3 weeks to arrive which will be after my chemo has finished :roll_eyes: so now I think, is it worth getting one? It will take months for the bald bits to grow out, and I will have to cut off the long straggly bits (I havenā€™t shaved) or have uneven hair. I hate it and just cant decide what to do. Itā€™s like Iā€™m paralysed with indecision. The lovely lady offered to order anothr one, the style of which i love but the colour is a proper grey where as mine is grey bit still has a lot of dark in it so it would be a total change.

Hubby, who has been fabulous throughout all this, just doesnt get the hair angst, and said well it looks fine now. Thereā€™s still loads at the back. It doesnā€™t even look like youā€™ve lost any at the back. So what if itā€™s thin underneath. Luckily for him he left shortly afterwards to watch Man United :rofl::rofl:

Love to all and get planning those London trips :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

@charlie22 I have the perfect thing for you to do when youā€™ve finished (and teenagers might like it too!)ā€¦ go along to this and smash the f@#k out of everything!!! Weā€™re allowed to be angryā€¦ with anything !!!

https://smashitragerooms.co.uk

My 7th is going ahead today, yay, but have the bone infusion stuff alongside the 3+ hours of pax and Iā€™ve heard the side effects of that arenā€™t nice. This keeps on giving and givingā€¦ wish me luck ladies xx

3 Likes

@donna_51 good luck for today. I currently sat in waiting room waiting for my bloods to be done. Number 5 tomorrow. Here we go again. At least I can join the ā€˜just one moreā€™ club after tomorrow. Even though I really want to be saying, just 20 more days of hell.
X

4 Likes

@pat. Hair is so important to us but also so individual. I made my mind up at the outset i didnt want a wig and would use caps /scarves.
I shaved my head about a month ago (number 3) and its the best thing. I wished id done it ages ago and i wasnt upset as i thought. What did upset me was looking in the mirror and seeing wispy stuff with scalp showing through before ( and constantly unblocking the shower plug!). Now i feel like i own this, it was my choice to shave, not cancer/chemoā€™s choice to make me look thin and wispy.
Hard to know, but try to listen to your gut and what ls right for you.

I am hating starting to look like the sick person, that i dreaded at the start of diagnosis. Sallow, rashy, exhausted, with tingling hands and feet and extra weightā€¦but ive just about hung on to my eyebrows and lashes, and ive found it true that a bit of make up and my fave perfume do lift me, even if going to only sit on the sofa!!

Like everyone hating this part and everyones positivity at my last treatmentā€¦as you all say doesnt feel like a thing to celebrate just the marking of time for what comes next. But, we have all got here, so we are amazing and we will get through whatever comes next xxx

5 Likes

@alig1961 and @donna_51 good luck for bloods, treatment and recovery afterā€¦x

2 Likes

Good luck @donna_51.

@alig1961 hope you get a better week. This time after the first Docetaxel I had a temp and infection. However although I felt shocking the last 2 days after I started the injections Iā€™ve actually managed to work today. Iā€™m not 100% but definitely better than I was. So hoping Iā€™m over the worst and it wonā€™t be as bad as last time. Hope itā€™s the same for you too.x

3 Likes

@wjs. Thank you for the message. Iā€™m hoping that I donā€™t go into hospital again. Fingers crossed the dosage reduction prevents that. I also have to remember that when I was in hospital, yes I felt rubbish but I think it was more mental health than physical health. Glad youā€™re doing ok. X

3 Likes

Hope you have a better time of it @alig1961 and @wjs ā€¦ Iā€™m feeling ok but bloody steroids kept me up all night and I now have to take more so Iā€™m exhaused and wired at the same time!! Some bone aching too which I presume is the bone infusion + now have to take calcium and vit D supplements too ā€¦ I am a walking pharmacy which is depressing as I never took anything before all of this.

I too am now in the ā€˜one moreā€™ clubā€¦ which is a great feeling but for some reason yesterday I burst into tears about it with the bc nurse as I canā€™t quite imagine getting my life back in any real way. Whilst Iā€™m in treatment I can feel as miserable as much as I like and sit at home and brood all day but when itā€™s overā€¦ well how do you get ā€˜backā€™?? Nurse was lovely and said this is all normal feelings and it will take time, donā€™t rush it etcā€¦ but sigh, even more emotions to deal with now ā€¦arrgghhhā€¦

Happy Thursday xx

5 Likes

@donna_51 it just seems to get more complicated the closer we get to the last one doesnā€™t it. People assume youā€™ll be excited about it but actually itā€™s still a hard slog to get there and afterwards with the side effects. Iā€™m not too bad again today and will wfh as it keeps me occupied but Iā€™m by no means ā€˜rightā€™. Going to ring the helpline for advice re my stomach. As soon as I start those injections itā€™s a nightmare.

This is the course BCN run that Iā€™m planning on doing at my local Maggies in the new year probably. Might be worth a look @donna_51 and anyone else to help us adjust to trying to get back to a new ā€˜normalā€™.x

https://breastcancernow.org/support-for-you/moving-forward/

2 Likes

@donna_51 @wjs @alig1961 I hope you are all ok this morning and managed to get some sleep :sleeping:

People do keep saying just one more then itā€™s all finished, in jolly voices. Well yes but IT ISNā€™T FINISHED!!! Firstly because there is the 10 days of side effects to negotiate, then the surgery, then, most likely, radiotherapy. So for me at least the end of chemotherapy isnt the end. I know people are trying to be encouraging :roll_eyes:

However, we will all be pleased to see the back of chemo so that is something to look forward to whatever comes next.

Will we still be able to post on this group once our chemo has finished ? :flushed::hushed::cry::cry:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing @wjs. No in person courses near me but will do online, might wait til i know when my radiotherapy is thoā€¦

Hope the end of the week is feeling better (i guess not for those just through treatment this weekā€¦sending love and support snd strength to get through). Hope the sun is shining for you all xxx

2 Likes

@pat I think we can post on here forever if we want toā€¦ but Iā€™d suggest we move the conversation to a whatsapp group towards the end of the year if people want to join. I definitely donā€™t think our group support finishes when treatment finishes so Iā€™m up for keeping in touch xxx

4 Likes

Hope the side effects are kind to you all this week!
Amazing for those of you who are getting down to one more to go, but I can understand why itā€™s emotional. Iā€™ve got 7 left-keep thinking how crazy my life is at the moment that every week I have to go to the hospital and spend 5 hours there with iced head, hands and toes and then wonder how I will cope when Iā€™m not doing that every week.
Like you too @pat Iā€™ve got surgery and radiotherapy still to come, so whilst the chemo will be ticked off itā€™s still a lot to go throughā€¦

2 Likes

So rang for advice this morning and back at the hospital for more checks :weary: I mean good that theyā€™re looking after me but Iā€™m so fed up with this. Will let you know how I get on.

@donna_51 thatā€™s a good idea. Would be really nice to be there for each other still for the rest of it.xx

2 Likes

Iā€™d be up for a WhatsApp group or something xx

1 Like

@wjs oh no. I hope youā€™re ok. Iā€™ll be thinking of you xx

2 Likes

I think it would be lovely if we could meet up face to face I. A central location when we get through it all or arrange a large zoom group. What do people think xx

4 Likes

@alig1961 definitely !! Iā€™m happy to travel next year when I have some hair ā€¦ I can treat myself to a jolly!! Letā€™s set up a whatsapp group in December and then go from thereā€¦ whooo

@wjsā€¦ oh no, hope they see you quick and itā€™s not too serious!!! Hereā€™s sending you positive vibes. I had a slightly high temperature during my last round and didnā€™t phone as I didnā€™t want to have to go into hospital - a risk maybe and I kept checking my temp every hour but the thought of not being at home in my ā€˜caveā€™ fills me with horror. Not sure how you did it @alig1961 !!!

xx

1 Like

It was a nightmare and as Iā€™ve said made me worse in the long run. However, I have a friend who picked up pneumonia so I wouldnā€™t take the risk. Xx

So they were going to send me home, took my temperature again and it had gone up :weary: So now got an overnight stay so they can keep an eye on me, which is probably for the best but :cry:

2 Likes