March 2024 chemo starters

Had my PICC line done today - such amazing caring nurses - even had a hug at the end if it which made me and my husband shed a tear - first EC tomorrow ….

5 Likes

Good luck!!! :grin::four_leaf_clover:

2 Likes

Great news @kate68 Thinking of you tomorrow :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Hope it goes well Kate.

I had my first EC on Monday without a PICC line unfortunately but I will get one fitted just before my second EC.

Take care
Marion

1 Like

Thank you - I hope you are feeling ok x

Thank you x

1 Like

I am feeling ok thank you Kate. Very tired today but mostly due to the steroids that keep me awake all night! No nausea or major side effects other than tiredness. Temperature up and down within the limits. I managed to do yoga last night on day 2! Probably my only session this week. Drinking a lot to flush the red devil!
Let us know how it goes tomorrow
Best,
Marion

1 Like

Glad you are doing ok and I will of course - thank you x

Picc line appt next week in time for chemo two. Pleased to give my veins a rest from the cannulas.

I have seven more cycles to go through, will it stay in for all of them?

1 Like

Glad you’ve not had many side effects so far…always a relief!! :grinning:

Hello all, I’ve been sitting on the sidelines reading all your posts and learning so much. So it’s probably time to come out from behind the sofa and say hello!
It was confirmed on Monday that I’ll be starting chemotherapy in the next few weeks- I’d convinced myself that I’d dodged that bullet so it was a bigger shock than the original diagnosis really. I’m 6 weeks post mastectomy today, had lymph node clearance and implant at the same surgery. Diagnosed in December with DCIS with lymph node involvement (only 3 of the 24 they removed were affected) stage 3.
This time last week I was thinking about returning to work, now I’m quite scared about what’s ahead for me.

7 Likes

I feel the same as you. Starting on 27th March and worried about what is up ahead as everyone’s experience seems to be different. I am in my early sixties but feel much younger and have a very active lifestyle with horses to ride and long walks to be done, I don’t want to have to give any of that up due to feeling yuk.

4 Likes

1 down 11 to go! First of 3 ECs today with cold cap today - cold cap made me a bit spaced out and headachey but bearable. No sickness yet but wiped out and tired x

2 Likes

Hi @kate68,

Well done and happy to hear it went fine. Was the PICC line ok? It is day 4 for me after my 1st EC and side effects are kicking in. Way too tired and dizzy to go to my evening pottery class, especially after a tough day at work.
Take care and drink loads it helps

Marion

3 Likes

Hi @kate68

I was just think of you and now you’ve posted.

Great news today went well. Take the medication when advised and make a note of your temperature and if in doubt call the helpline.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

@marionse25

So pleased you are doing so well. Hats off to you still working let alone thinking of going to a pottery class.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Thank you yes PICC was great it’s been bleeding a bit so need to keep an eye on it might need dressing changed. Bloods from PICC booked on 1st apr and next EC 3rd April all at Velindre and district nurse coming to give me injection tomorrow because I’m too squeamish to do it. I am very very tired but temp is ok atm :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Thank you and will do xx

1 Like

Hi @kate68,

Very reassuring PICC was great. I really wished mine had been fitted for my 1st EC.
It will be early morning on 25 March before my second EC. It is going to be a long day! PICC at 9am, blood test 11am, oncologist check 11;45amd and chemo/cold capping from 12:30. I do everything in one day which is more practical but quite intense.

The PICC will be fitted in a different place than my chemo hopefully it will be ok and not too painful. I did not realise I would have to do a 5-day cleanng programme before the fitting, changing bedlinen everyday. More planning required soon!

Rest up, take your meds and drink a lot. Hope you will manage to get some sleep, steroids have been tough to me I can’t wait to finish the course and get some sleep tomorrow hopefully.

Bigs hugs
Marion

4 Likes

Thanks @naughty_boob!
I am really sad I can’t go to my class as the term will finish next week and I won’t be able to continue… I usually do yoga 3 to 4 times a week and was told by a nurse I would be fine to continue! Not really at the moment! I went out for a 10-min walk during lunch time and struggled.
Will just try to relax and pace myself, not something I am usually good at tbh!

have a nice evening
Take care
Marion

3 Likes