November 2023 chemo starters

Oh god, burning fingertips doesnt sound very nice at all, or the mouth ulcers. My mouth has been sore since treatment started but no ulcers yet! I hope your symptoms improve over the coming days.
I’m feeling much more like myself now. The fatigue hit me really hard this time around and I couldn’t function properly until yesterday. Saying that, having a 2nd period 2 weeks after my normal one would’ve definitely contributed to how crap I’ve been feeling and I eventually got to speak to someone who could reassure me that although its not what I needed, it happens! She also gave me the option of taking an extra week’s break from the EC but I told her since I only have 1 EC left on Wed before I change to paclitaxel I’d rather get it over and done with.

Have a lovely Christmas - same goes for everyone else too xx

4 Likes

Thanks. Glad you are at least feeling much better now. Can see why you want to push on rather than delay. Hope all goes well with last EC and you can enjoy Christmas in the meantime. x

4 Likes

The dresses are SRUNNING! Do you take orders? My goddaughter is 2 in April and I’d love to get one if so!

2 Likes

What a very cute and very lucky Granddaughter. Dresses are amazing. :star_struck:

2 Likes

Glad you’re feeling a better now. Definitely agree with pushing through. My PICC line moved 4cm they offered to replace it and give me a 2 week break- tempting over Christmas but I just want this over with too so went for IV. Daughter had an operation on Friday and my other daughter has ear infection so can’t hear well!! What a household we are!!

1 Like

This sounds awful how are you coping? Has the burning settled? Can you get on to the emergency line for advice sooner than Wednesday possibly give you something for nerve pain? Amitriptyline/ gabapentin?
Have you got everything for sore mouth too anbesol, good old bonjela, corsodyl?
Does it annoy you when people go into fix it mode- :pensive: Really hope you’re doing ok. We”re in this only for a season.

I’m ok thanks trying to see Christmas which I usually love, as a welcome distraction. I’m getting frustrated not being able to work. Keep wanting to fit it in but then not able. Just had round 2/6. Got myself a whoop to try to manage energy and recovery better will see how that works.
Not faced the wig yet head scarves less irritating and also is it wierd?? but feels like I’m pretending this isn’t happening if I use a wig. I have got one I’m not saying they are wrong just can’t get my head round it (pun intended!)

1 Like

I used to take orders, but just make them for grand daughter now, as although am off work at minute, i do usually work full time. It maybe something i will do when i retire in about 15 months time x

1 Like

Merry Christmas everyone. I hope there is some light peace and joy in this crappy season for us all. :christmas_tree::star2:

3 Likes

:grinning:. Fix away! Any advice welcome. Hands haven’t got any worse so will hold out until Wed. I’m hoping I can have a reduced dose next time which I think is often done if there’s neuropathy as it can just get worse each time.

Know what you mean about wearing wig. I don’t wear it often - mostly when I see my mum so she thinks I look “normal” and doesn’t worry so much! Anything feels weird at the moment. I’m living in Australian head wraps at home - Wrappd in Love, Etsy. If anyone knocks at the door I run and hide as neighbours don’t know and I don’t want to shock the postman! Dog walks are ok with woolly hat and scarf. Ok, I’ll have to “come out” when weather gets warmer in the spring or I’ll be a recluse.

Enjoy Christmas. x

2 Likes

Due to have next dose of all 3 tomorrow ( paclitaxel, carboplatin and pembrolizumab). Just got call to say they can’t go ahead as bloods weren’t high enough - my neuts was down to 1.0
Anyone else had this? Did it go back up enough by the next week?

2 Likes

I’m due my 2nd EC tomorrow. My onc phoned me last week and told me my neuts were down to 0.79. I felt fine in myself. I just hope the had gone up enough for my bloods this morning.

1 Like

Hope they have gone up enough to go ahead tomorrow :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

How has Christmas been? I’ve just about got through feeling awful after last treatment. It seems to be the first week that hits hardest. Christmas was a welcome distraction but hard to cope with noise and activity levels.
Personal question has anyone found bladder control is weaker? Wondering if it’s the chemo the filgrastim or the hormone changes (although had another period!) seems to affect me most in week 2??
@countrygirl1 how did onc consult go?
How are the bloods @isitreallyme @kitty3 ? Do you repeat them after a week and how they have improved? Did they say what they would do if they don’t improve? Sending lots of love hope everyone doing ok-ish. Xx

2 Likes

Hi

Yes the first week after chemo is the worst. Then you just start to feel better and off you go again.

Well, it certainly felt different this Christmas. Was worried about catching flu or Covid so didn’t mix as much. I’ll be glad really when New Year is over and I can get back to “normal” whatever that is. Well, push on with treatment anyway.

I got confused with dates for oncologist (chemo brain) and realised that he’s ringing next Wed. Have a list of things to mention such as sore, tingly hands and nose bleeds. Not sure if I want chemo dose reduced or risk hands getting worse.

One of my big toenails is going black around the edges. Don’t know if that means it will fall off. Will it hurt??

Yes, I find that I do need to go to loo when I need to!! Waited earlier, had an unexpected coughing fit and a slight leak. Help!

Take care everyone. x

1 Like

Yes 1st week the worst. Neuts were back up to 2.4 so all good again. Don’t know what the plan would be if not.
Horrible taste back today after yesterday’s 2nd dose, so back on water as everything else tastes yuk.
Very little hair left now. Decided against shaving what’s left off.
Pleased you had a reasonable Christmas x

2 Likes

Hi Christmas was ok, a couple of bad days with severe stomach issues again. I am due to get my bloods done again on Thursday so hopefully my neuts will have increased enough to allow me to get treatment on Friday. They haven’t told me what they will do if they are still too low but i plan to ask that on Thursday :crossed_fingers:
I too have had bladder problems, seem to go much more often and don’t get much notice at all - has been worse over the last week or two.
Hope you are starting to feel a bit better now x

2 Likes

Happy New Year everyone! I went to bed at 8:30 last night - I know how to celebrate lol! Really getting sick of the fatigue now and I’m half way through my treatment. Christmas was really nice though and the 2 good days fell very nicely for a wider family Christmas up north. I think the period after Christmas is quite a difficult one anyway but I have another 4 2 weekly treatments to get through and to be honest I’m feeling sorry for myself and wondering how I’m going to get through another 8 weeks of Groundhog day. I’ve been looking at booking a holiday for the summer but I can’t concentrate for long enough and just want it to happen by magic lol. The hubby is crap at that sort of thing too but we’ll get something sorted…eventually! OK whinge over, I’ll get through this, as will all of you! Again, Happy New Year fellow warriors, it can only get better xx

4 Likes

I’m at about the same stage as you with chemo. Three more, three weeks apart. It feels really hard at this point. Hoping it will get easier once there are only a couple left and we’ll be able to see the finishing post. Keep going. Happy New Year. x

5 Likes

Hi all. How is everyone doing now? I had a call from the oncologist this week and he’s decided to reduce my Docetaxel dose by 20% for the last three cycles. He wasn’t too worried about the burning hands (which are now peeling slightly - using lots of hand cream) but was concerned about numbness in fingertips as this could get worse. He said “You might end up not being able to drive”. What! Well, I’m not convinced that it won’t get worse as I’ll still be having 80% but we have to trust them to know what is right.

Apart from that I’m feeling fairly ok at the moment so I’m “good to go” for next Tuesday. Can’t wait! :crossed_fingers::thinking:

Hope that you’re all coping as best can be. x

4 Likes

Me too. Just about to hit half way on Thursday. My oncologist said preferably 6 rounds definitely 4 I’m wondering what the added benefit of the extra 2 is? And can I do this? I certainly don’t think I could do it again so perhaps best to do full hog now?! That’s my question for them on Wednesday. Are you having radiotherapy too? I will have 3 weeks so I believe-yikes more fatigue.

Where are you thinking of going? Shall we daydream? I had a look at Guadeloupe the other day!! Grimsby more in my price bracket but we can dream :rofl::palm_tree::tropical_drink:

Glad you got some useful help from oncology @countrygirl1 hope the reduction does make a difference.

We can do this. Keep going.

Btw I completed the 25 miles in dec and raise £190 for sands so pretty chuffed about that. I’m going to try and do 20 miles a month not for sponsorship but just to keep it a bit of movement going.

4 Likes