Numbness in toes

Hello everyone. Just wondered if anyone is having trouble with numbness in toes? I have two more Pacli sessions but it is getting worse. My Onc says it SHOULD - should being the operative word, go once chemo has finished but it could take weeks, months or even never go away. Just wondered what experience you have had - the thought of it never going away is very upsetting as it is quite uncomfortable. My Onc has reduced the last two session by 15% but as it does not get any better between sessions it feels like a worrying indication? I have also developed quite swollen feet and ankles. Trying to stay positive and have to say can’t wait till chemo over -have used the cold cap and managed to keep quite a bit of hair albeit it thinning a lot, so if any of you are considering using cold cap, do give it a go, it is only uncomfortable for first 20 mins or so and a good audio book takes your mind of it, even if you do look like a Russian Cosmonaut :rofl:. Stay strong you lovely people, there is always light at the end of the tunnel in one way or another. Much love and strength to you all xxx

6 Likes

I have tingling down one arm and in my feet from one of my Chemos. I can’t remember which one, my primary was 2006 and secondary about 5-6 years ago. I take Duloxetine each day and this helps.

3 Likes

Hi Denise I started having a bit of numbness in my soles at about my 8th paclitaxol session, and my doctor reduced my dose by 10%, but the numbness continued and also affects my hands tho that just feels like aches and lack of fine control. I finished the 12 sessions3 weeks ago and saw my oncologist last week- she said it could take up to 6months to get back to normal so I’m really hoping that happens. It feels quite odd when walking but hopefully won’t get any worse now. Good luck with your treatment, I hope it goes well.

3 Likes

Haven’t started treatment yet but will be having pacli and been offered hands and feet cold sleeves (like cold cap) to reduce nerve end damage. Hope you get it resolved :pray:

3 Likes

On 3rd Paclitaxel this week, allergic reaction! I had slight tingling in my big toes the day after the first two treatments and some tingling/numbness mainly at night in my fingers. Not sure if that is linked to my PICC line and maybe lying odd, tends to go away if I wiggle them. Going to clinic next week and will mention it

3 Likes

I had the same but not too bad i used the cold socks and gloves from amazon they have similar effect as cold cap and stop the drugs getting to fingers and toes … I honestly feel it would have been worse without them. Used them from day1 chemo I also ate ice lollies / ice cream to stop mouth sores - it worked

2 Likes

Hi. I was on Docetaxil when i developed the numbness in my hands and feet. My Oncologist said its Peripheral neuropathy. She cancelled my last infusion because of these symptoms and the Docetaxil side effects.
I still have the numbness, the worst part being my fingertips are very sensitive which makes touching or holding objects difficult.
It feels like frostbite, so im praying for a mild winter as the numbness could feel worse.

2 Likes

I found out you can apply for personal independence payment (PIP) when you are going through chemotherapy and you can mentioned all your side effects. Peripheral neuropathy can impact highly on your life and if you haven’t I would suggest applying. Also I think you need to advise the DVLA if you drive.

Hope this helps.

1 Like

I know, it is frustrating isn’t it after all we have been through. It is the “should” go away that is worrying. But fingers crosses we will all be back to normal some time Take care and good luck going forward :heart:

1 Like

I had chemo 7 years ago and suffered from tingling and numbness in toes and finger tips. The fingers cleared up a few months post chemo. The toes gradually improved over time (about 2 years) and I still have slight numbness but not enough to impact on my life. Nerves are quite good at regeneration but it only happens slowly. Hop that gives you hope.

2 Likes

I developed numbers in my feet & fingers after my 10th (out of 12) session of Paclitaxel. I found continuing walking, although I couldn’t walk as far or as long as normal, helped. I remember walking along a beach paddling along which was bliss. It started to get better about a fortnight after my last session and disappeared within 3 months. So hopefully it will be the same (or better) for you.

2 Likes

I haven’t heard of phyto? Is it tablets? I’m trying to walk each day but it is quite uncomfortable- not painful just odd, with my feet anyway. My hands ache and feel a bit swollen and numb fingertips- something I had really not expected to affect me as much as it does.

1 Like

Thanks lovie. I am the same, finished my chemo last week but so far no improvement in numbness. I know I shouldn’t but I keep hearing the words that it may never go away! I really hope you do start to see an improvement over time as do I. Good luck, take care and stay strong :sparkling_heart:

1 Like

Hi I’m the same finished chemo a month ago and feet are still quite numb and my hands numb and achey. I seem to have moved from worrying about my bowels, nosebleeds and fatigue to this now!
I’ve just bought the Phyto v capsules so hopefully they will help. I think the letrozole I’ve just started can cause aches too, so that probably won’t help.
It’s frustrating that the end of the pacli doesn’t mean that I’m feeling normal yet🫤

1 Like

@Artylady Let us know how you get on with the phyto capsules. I’ve had 4 out of 12 Paclitaxel and I’m getting some numbness and tingling but it goes away. Oncologist said not to worry until it doesn’t go away but so many have said it’s worse the longer you have the treatment.

I didn’t get more than a little bit of the numbness until I’d had about 8 sessions, then the doctor dropped my dose by 20%, but it gradually got worse- hard to tell if it’s still increasing tho my fingers are feeling more sore today for some reason. I had a Herceptin injection yesterday and the nurse said I should call the care line if it gets worse- not sure what they can do tho, if I’ve stopped the chemo anyway. The nurse did say that it generally takes 3-6 months for it to come out of your system.

1 Like

Thanks Lizaki, it certainly does give me hope. It’s the not knowing that is worse mentally. Even 2 years I can cope with. Not sure if the swollen feet is connected, my Oncologist is frustratingly rather vague - take care

1 Like

Thanks for this, it definitely gives me hope - you take care :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I feel exactly the same, bowels, nosebleeds gone but nuimbnes not :rage:. I am about to start Letrozole too - one more thing to get symptoms from. But as others have said, small price to pay for the cure. Some days, I feel more tearful than when I started my chemo but others, I just say “pull yourself together and get on with it”. I am sure we all feel the same. Best of luck and good healthy to you lovely :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Forgot to say - I had BC in 2009 as well as this year (hereditary) and had Arimidex for 5 years followed by Tamoxifen and did not get any side effects at all so fingers crossed you might be the same :heart:

1 Like