Stop feeling guilty, small rant (BENCHLAND) (Part 1)

Sorry you’re feeling so naff. You will soon start to improve as you get past the dreaded lowest day, my onc says day 14. Well, I am by the seaside and have just managed to surface enough to grab my iPad. I’m totally wiped out after the journey. I am having a lazy do nothing day today in the hopes that I shall be able to make it out of the flat tomorrow. My head wants to do stuff but my body won’t do as it’s told. At least I am not quite so achey today. I didn’t sleep that well either and resorted to sleeping tablet as I just couldn’t get comfy.
At least I have OH who is keeping me company
X Sarah

One tearful phone call later & hubby is returning home tonight to look after me. Glad I admitted that I wasn’t coping too well. No awards for bravery here lol! Going to try & catch up with some sleep this afternoon.

Twinky

Well done, Twinks. Sometimes admitting we can’t cope is the hardest thing. And you deserve to have someone looking after you. Well done Mr Twinky for being your knight in shining armour and coming to your rescue. See how you are on Thursday and if you’re not up to it, that’s fine. Or if you want a lift, I can pick you up.

Ladies, on the I’m on The Bit Weepy bench today - HELP!!

Letter from onc to confirm I can’t have surgical reduction on Droopy since I had radio on both sides - all upset and deeply disappointed.
However I could may be have lipofill to Perky to even things up, so fingers crossed, don’t be a wimp, look on the bright side, cheer up etc etc.

He did tell me this at the last appt, but it’s so FINAL when it’s written down.

Sun is shining, going to eat lunch outside, then dig up the weeds in the front garden.

grumpy and sad today

Crabby are you receiving treatment at University Hospitals, Coventry? That is where I shall have to go for radiotherapy as I live in North Warwickshire! Enjoy the sea air. Very jealous - bring some back!

JCJ that is also where I had my rads so if there is anything I can do to help just say. They were lovely and in the end I enjoyed going in for my daily chat with them, although parking was a nightmare xx

grumpy = so sorry about droopy and perky…
Twinky - well done YOU! Such a hard thing to do, but Superwomen we aint - well, we are, but not with our knickers outside our tights…

CM I’m making a trail to some of the nice benches for you - just follow the giggles of the next few days and you’ll find some great undiscovered benches…

going to the “ohmyGodI’venotdoneanyexerciseforayear” bench tomorrow as I attempt an hour’s pilates…

enjoy the weather while it lasts!

Jane xx

Jane if you are up for the Games you must practice, practice, practice.
Synchronised hot flushing going well, narrowed down to certain parts of the day/night now. Lake pretty full.
Staggering event also going well, don’t know if I’ve been cheating or not cause have been holding on to my stick, if I go on my own will have to withdraw as I will end up disqualified. Would be going round and round in circles. Perhaps I could enter making a hole in the ground, perpetual motion with my feet?

Dancing for the Games on track Scottish country and the horizontal Maypole, flags are up and waving in a gentle breeze.
Wind ladies working extremely hard, lots of blowing.
Marathon ladies have just ran past.
Hope all the girls who have been feeling yucky are a little brighter today xx

Is there a rising panic bench? Got my oncologist appointment in an hour to give THE DECISION. Feel fairly confident but at the same time terrified!

OH has hosp appointment - different hosp. 20 miles away 2 hours later to, hopefully, have cast off broken leg. Busy day. Neverdidlikehospitals! :frowning:

MaryGrace I have experienced the (lack of) parking at University Hospitals! Gald most of my appts been at George Eliot in Nuneaton. Dreading daily parking nightmare. Hoping OH will be able to drive by time I have to do it!

Yes JCJ there’s a well frequented rising panic bench, visited before appointments, ops & treatments dose yourself at home. There’s gently relaxing music in the background & fresh fragrant air to encourage deep breaths…good luck. Let us know how you get on x

Twinky x

Hi all,

Today I would like to go on the unable to sleep and feeling sorry for myself with a very very sore nipple bench- why when you are exhausted cant I sleep !!! Driving me nuts…

Love to all xxxxx

sorry all those of you that are feeling yuk today…

JCJ - my OH broke his ankle just as I was being diagnosed last year, so after my mastectomy he was so wanting to help and absolutely unable to! Good friends brought him to see me and ironed and cooked… hope his plaster comes off soon and you survive the Onc!

I’m going to the smug bench, because I did my hour’s pilates (drove for half an hour to get there, and back again) and I’ve had a lovely lunch in the garden & done a teeny bit of gardening in the sunshine… TIme for another cuppa on the smug bench now…

anyone joining me?

Jane

JCJ yes I’m at Coventry UCHW. It’s a massive place and I dread the parking too.
Managed to get out of the flat today, if briefly. This cycle has really knocked me for six. Hopefully will be up to doing much more tomorrow. Tomorrow sees the start of my week off. Hurrah!
X Sarah

Chemo successfully declined. Onc perfectly happy - admitted it would be overkill as cancer all removed! Signed radio consent forms - will prob start in April. Agreed to have Zoladex - (which takes care of 3 of the 5% survival improvement lost by refusing chemo!). Also on React(?) trail - anti-inflammatory/placebo. Agree to anything now the threat of chemo gone? Whoops, sorry! Shove up on the guilty bench!

OH has had cast off. Foot still twice the size it should be - will be for up to 8 months!! - and he can’t get a shoe on. We’ll have to go shoe shopping tomorrow - not as exciting as it sounds! Hope he can drive by “3 to 4 weeks” time to take me to UCHW.

I’ll be driving us to West Yorkshire on Sat. :slight_smile:
Wishing yuk-free days to you all. x

Lol…I took part in the UCHW 48 hour radio marathon last year. Yes I can imagine the parking is a nightmare. I’m being treated in Solihull & am grateful for no parking issues ( private hospital)…and even better no parking charges ( ducks the barrage of cardboard ‘top hats’ from those who have to pay for NHS parking). Sarah hope you feel better soon & enjoy your week off. I sense I am about to turn the corner & improve. A whole day out of bed would be an achievement!

There’s a slightly sad end to a very early thread about cat fountains ( remember that). The pussy in question was diagnosed with a intestinal tumour today so in-laws are very upset. Am hoping to feel better by Friday do we can go over & take them out for lunch to cheer them up a bit. Plus FIL has his check up next week following removal of a cancerous lump in his bowel in Dec. They’re hoping it won’t re-grow/is slow growing as he’s too old to have treatment/ major surgery so could be a challenging week next week! Sigh…and there was I looking for a nice week.

Twinky x

Get free parking for RT at UCHW - just take barrier ticket into department and they activate it somehow - BUT need to be able to get IN to car park to do that! Currently looking for bra alternatives - can’t see me leaving the house without any means of support! Put it this way: burning mine would keep the camp fire in Benchland burning for hours! :slight_smile:

Hi JCJ, I used those vests with ‘hidden support’ during my rads which were more comfy than a bra and provided some support.

Definitely on the ‘my cat hates me’ bench after chasing her round the house to try to get her meds into her… oh it did look like one of those old Ealing comedies! Back to vet for check-up tomorrow - I will be be hated for another week afteer that!

GIJane, I’ll see your OH’s broken ankle and raise you my OH’s open heart surgery 6 days before my first chemo! Don’t they realise they’re not allowed to have any traumas at all? How dare they be so inconsiderate! ;-D

JCJ, I went the other way and wore my post-lumpectomy sports bra, after slathering on the aloe vera gel. I didn’t like any kind of rubbing from fabric and found the support tops didn’t stay put and rubbed too much for me. Horses for courses, so try to find whatever works best for you. Would definitely avoid wired bras though.

Rev, I’ve been on that Cat Hates Me bench too. I get nearly deafened by the shouts from the cat box when I put him in the car to take him to the vet, he’s a very grumpy cat and sulks for an hour or two after we get back.

This’ll be a long post, but hopefully give you all a laugh:

INSTRUCTIONS FOR GIVING YOUR CAT A PILL

1. Pick cat up and cradle it in the crook of your left arm as if holding a baby. Position right forefinger and thumb on either side of cat’s mouth and gently apply pressure to cheeks while holding pill in right hand. As cat opens mouth, pop pill into mouth. Allow cat to close mouth and swallow.

2. Retrieve pill form floor and cat from behind sofa. Cradle cat in left arm and repeat process.

3. Retrieve cat from bedroom, and throw soggy pill away.

4. Take new pill from foil wrap, cradle cat in left arm holding rear paws tightly with left hand. Force jaws open and push pill to back of mouth with right forefinger. Hold mouth shut for a count of 10.

5. Retrieve pill from goldfish bowl and cat from top of wardrobe. Call spouse from garden.

6. Kneel on floor with cat wedged firmly between knees, holding front and rear paws. Ignore low growls emitted by cat. Get spouse to hold cat’s head firmly with one hand while forcing wooden ruler into mouth. Drop pill down ruler and rub cat’s throat vigorously.

7. Retrieve cat from curtain rail, get another pill from foil wrap. Make note to buy new ruler and repair curtains. Carefully sweep shattered figurines from hearth and set to one side for gluing later.

8. Wrap cat in large towel and get spouse to lie on cat with its head just visible from below spouse’s armpit. Put pill in end of drinking straw, force cat’s mouth open with pencil and blow down drinking straw.

9. Check label to make sure pill not harmful to humans, drink glass of water to take taste away. Apply Band-Aid to spouse’s forearm and remove blood from carpet with cold water and soap.

10. Retrieve cat from neighbour’s shed. Get another pill. Place cat in cupboard and close door onto neck to leave head showing. Force mouth open with dessert spoon. Flick pill down throat with elastic band.

11. Fetch screwdriver from garage and put door back on hinges. Apply cold compress to cheek and check records for date of last tetanus shot. Throw T-shirt away and fetch new one from bedroom.

12. Ring fire brigade to retrieve cat form tree across the road. Apologise to neighbour who crashed into fence while swerving to avoid cat. Take last pill from wrap.

13. Tie cat’s front paws to rear paws with garden twine and bind tightly to leg of dining table. Find heavy duty pruning gloves from shed. Force cat’s mouth open with small spanner. Push pill into mouth, followed by large piece of fillet steak. Hold head vertically and pour pint of water down throat to wash pill down.

14. Get spouse to drive you to emergency room; sit quietly while doctor stitches fingers and forearm and removes pill remnants form right eye. Stop by furniture shop on way home to order new table.

15. Arrange for the vet to make a house call.

Thank you Jane, giggling madly now xx